Join us on Monday January 14th, 2019 from 5 to 8 pm for Parent/Teacher Conferences.2019-Spring-Parent-Conferences
It’s a FREE hot cocoa party! Let’s kick off winter break with a hot chocolate bar!
Join the PTSA on Wednesday December 19th. We will have cups of cocoa and a selection of festive toppings by the front office. We would love parent volunteers to serve our wonderful students and end the semester with a smile.
The PTSA will be setting up from 12:00-1:00pm to be ready to pass out cocoa after the students’ last exam at 1:10. They will still have time to grab lunch and catch the bus at 1:40.
If you can volunteer, please email Elizabeth Branson at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope to see you there!
¡Comencemos las vacaciones de invierno con un taza de chocolate caliente para nuestros estudiantes!
Únete al PTSA el miércoles 19 de diciembre. Tendremos tazas de chocolate y una selección de ingredientes que puedes incluir en tu chocolate, (junto a la oficina). Nos encantaría que los padres voluntarios sirvan a nuestros maravillosos estudiantes y terminen el semestre con una sonrisa.
El PTSA se instalará de 12:00-1:00 pm para estar listos y repartir el chocolate caliente después del último examen de los estudiantes a la 1:10 pm. Todavía tendrán tiempo para almorzar y tomar el autobús a la 1:40 pm.
Si puede asistir, envíe un correo electrónico a Elizabeth Branson a email@example.com ¡Esperamos verlos este dia!
Here is a great competition event for SEM students. Students will have a chance to compete in STEAMS projects with gifted students from top Public/Private High/Middle Schools in the US.
Attached is the event flyer of 2019 Joint STEAMS HS/MS Competition Event in Bay Area CA next Summer. If you are interested in submitting an abstract to this event, you can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website stem2steams.weebly.com
SEM will be administering the American Mathematics Competition (AMC) on February 7th, 2019. The AMC 10 and AMC 12 are both 25-question, 75-minute, multiple choice examinations in high school mathematics designed to promote the development and enhancement of problem-solving skills. If you are interested in participating in this competition, please sign up at tinyurl.com/SEMAMC. The deadline to sign up is November 30th.
The AMC is the first in a series of competitions that are used to select students for the US team of the International Mathematics Olympiad. Students who do well on the AMC will be invited to participate in the American Invitational Mathematics Exam (AIME). Some highly selective schools such as MIT have a space on their application for AMC and AIME. These exams give you exposure to advanced math questions and can provide a great place to start learning more math. All SEM students that are interested are encouraged to sign up. Contact Mr. Newton with questions.
Join us during the last class period on Friday Oct 26th for Oktober Fest.
Tickets will be sold in the band hall (Room 140) and during all lunch periods in the commons on the week of the event. Tickets $10 pre sale only. You must buy your ticket prior to last lunch period on Friday Oct 26th.
The ticket is the pass to get out of class and into the area designated for the event (Commons and outside area behind commons).
PTSA Morning Coffee with the Principal and General PTSA meeting 8AM, library.
Join us to catch up on all things PTSA. Ms. Tangman will be there to talk about yearbook and what we can do to help out.
The PSAT/NMSQT will be administered to all 9th-11th grade students at Townview the day of October 10, 2018. On this day, all Townview seniors are eligible to visit local college campuses and are eligible to participate in offsite alternative academic activities to prepare them for college. Students who elect to remain on campus will work on college related and life skill activities led by Dallas ISD faculty or staff. We highly encourage all seniors to actively engage in activities that will be beneficial to them as the deadline for early applications and early decision for many colleges is during the first two week of November 2018.
Download the PDF letter and permission forms or see below:
Parent Teacher conferences are October 8, 2018 from 5:00 to 8:00.
Come to the SEM Office and
1. Pick up your student’s report card
2. Buy a yearbook
3. Join PTA!
Maps will also be available so you can start visiting your student’s teachers.
Consider these tips to get the most from conferences:
- Conferences are a good time for parents and teachers to work together to develop a plan of action to support students’ learning. This might take the form of an agreement where parents commit to what they will require at home and the teacher outlines projects, deadlines and what will be covered at school.
- Working as a team, teachers and parents can ensure that students are learning what’s required at each grade level. This kind of cooperation is crucial as students prepare to take state-mandated exams. Many schools will provide before- and after-school tutoring in the weeks leading up to the tests. Ask about tutoring and whether other resources are available to help students outside of school hours.
- Parents who can’t attend conferences on the designated day should know they can call the school to schedule a conference with their child’s teacher. And if meeting face to face is difficult, parents shouldn’t hesitate to ask teachers for other ways to receive updates on their student’s progress.
¡Venga a la oficina de SEM y
1. Recoja la boleta de su estudiante
2. Compre un libro anual
3. Unase al PTA!
También puede recoger un mapa de la escuela para comenzar a visitar a los maestros de su hijo/a.
Tenga presente los siguientes consejos para que aproveche al máximo las reuniones:
- Este es un buen momento para que los padres y los maestros trabajen en conjunto para desarrollar un plan de acción para apoyar el aprendizaje de su hijo. Por ejemplo, podrían desarrollar un contrato donde los padres se comprometen a hacer lo necesario en casa y el maestro define los proyectos, fechas límite y los temas que se cubrirán en la escuela.
- Trabajando en equipo, los maestros y los padres pueden asegurar que su hijo esté aprendiendo lo que se requiere en cada nivel académico. Esta colaboración es esencial conforme los estudiantes se preparan para las evaluaciones estatales. Varias escuelas proporcionaran tutoría antes y después de clases las semanas previas a las evaluaciones. Pregunte sobre sesiones de tutoría y si existen otros recursos para ayudar a su hijo fuera del horario escolar.
- Si no pueden asistir a las reuniones el día indicado, pueden comunicarse con la escuela para programar una reunión con el maestro de su hijo. Si se le dificulta presentarse a la escuela, no duden en preguntarles a los maestros que otras alternativas existen para recibir actualizaciones sobre el progreso de su hijo.
High School Aerospace Scholars (HAS) applications are now open! HAS is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Texas high school juniors to explore careers at NASA, learn about what they might want to study in college, and unite with like-minded students across the state. Following a series of online lessons, the highest achieving students will be invited to an all-expenses-paid, week-long visit to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston during the summer. Selected participants will plan a mission to Mars while receiving guidance from NASA scientists and engineers. Both the online and onsite portions are free to participants.
How can you help?
· Please encourage students at your school to apply for the program by visiting www.has.aerospacescholars.org. The website includes detailed program information, the student application, important dates, and a downloadable poster to spread the word to classrooms about this unique opportunity!
· You can also learn more about the program by viewing the two available videos on our homepage:
o What Can You See
o A Journey of Discovery
· Get the word out to students on the morning announcements, in parent newsletters, in the school newspaper, and on your school’s social media channels using the hashtag #NASAHAS!
· Spread the word to fellow math, science, and technology teachers to recommend it to their students.
Please find an attached letter with more information. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
HAS Activity Manager